Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Coils and Kinks

Wavy. Curly. Kinky. Nappy. Coily. These attributes are used to describe the natural pattern of textured hair. Some attributes more controversial than others. Celebrity hair stylist Andre Walker created a hair typing system to better understand the behavior and needs of our hair.
My understanding is that there was controversy surrounding the idea creating a division within natural hair community. Wavy and Curly vs. Kinky, Nappy and Coily. The latter not being portrayed for its own beauty and diversity, while defined and bouncy curls were considered the ideal texture. Again, this is just my assumption. 
*Disclaimer: I haven't read much about the whole "controversy" therefore, I cannot really speak on it. My opinion is basically, there's no such thing as good versus bad hair.*

Personally, the hair typing system has been helpful because it identified the characteristics that were similar to my hair. According to Mr. Walker's system, my kinky coils can be identified as both Type 4b and c hair. However, you can't rely on the chart alone since there are other accountable factors, such as porosity, density and multiple textures. I felt that the classification system was a good starting point and it made my expectations more realistic. For instance, I know that I can't do a certain hairstyle and expect the same results as someone who has Type 3b. But that does not mean that my Coils and Kinks aren't just as Good.

www.NaturallyCurly.com gives this description for Type 4b hair:

Type 4b has a "Z" pattern, less of a defined curl pattern. Instead of curling or coiling, the hair bends in sharp angles like the letter "Z". Type 4 hair has a cotton-like feel. The hair is very wiry, very tightly coiled or bent and very, very fragile; you must take great care when working with it. Type 4 hair can range from fine/thin to wiry/coarse with lots and lots of strands densely packed together. Type 4b hair often shrinks up to 75% of the actual hair length.


   
This is my 4b hair slightly streched 

This is my hair soaked with a mixture of water and Herbal Essence Hello Hydration

Stay tuned for more!
Love Always,
Yaya

No comments:

Post a Comment